Tuesday, September 7, 2010

homework, neighbor, artists as couples?

I picked doing homework over eating cookie dough and watching A Walk to Remember. What the hell is wrong with me?
Well...I don't really like Mandy Moore anyway. Or sappy movies. I supplemented the cookie dough with chocolate ice cream once I was done with homework.

So the girl next door, the one who was hung over after the first night, saw me for the first time today. Despite her immense popularity, I haven't met her before. But she was behind me has I was coming back from class. This is how it went down:
Gia: Hey, are you the one that lives next to me?
Me(as I punched in my door code): I suppose so, yeah.
Gia: I just haven't seen you at all.
Me: I keep to myself.
Friend of Gia(overly pleasant): IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU!

Moving on.

Can I just say how grossed out I am with these freshman college couples? I'm really grossed out. We've been here for what, 9 days? You see them holding hands, strolling down the sidewalk. They've got their portfolio bags and boxes of oil paints. I've probably said this a million times out loud, but regardless I'm going to say it here: I would never date anyone who goes to my college, or anyone who is an art student. I say this only because 1.) I know how art kids are. They are quite similar to drama kids. We can be extremely moody, and picky, and judgmental(as are people who are not artists, but we are all of these, and worst). We also at times like to be hermits. Example of that being that Gia has never seen me because I spend most of my time either in class, in my room, or in a friend's room. But mostly in my room. The second reason of me not being able to date an art student would be due in part by a cliche. "Opposites attract". I believe this, to an extent. But mostly I believe that two artists, living together, will clash creatively. This may not be true. But in my mind the worst case scenario would be that the two artists would become moody, picky, and judgmental of their work and everything else, at the same time. Personally I feel like it'd be better for me to be with someone who cared about my art, and the arts in general, but perhaps was an accountant. Ya know, found beauty in numbers or something. I think I've always pictured my life being similar to that of Daniel Stone in The Tenth Circle. Of course without the whole bit about my daughter getting raped, my wife pushing a kid off a bridge, and me being from Alaska where I can see Russia from my house. But job-wise and life style-wise, I'd like to be in his shoes. His wife was a Professor, and he was the stay-at-home dad with the art studio at the front of the house. That's the kind of life I want.


Here's the brother and I at the Baltimore zoo:
It was forever ago, but you gotta love his face.
I think he still makes that face every now and then



No comments: